Job ID: 199346333
5 - 10 years
Automation engineers design, program, simulate and test industrial automated machinery and processes. They utilize sensors and detectors to measure the output performance of the process being controlled. These measurements are used to provide corrective feedback, helping to achieve the desired performance. The automation engineers then effectively apply engineering technology to improve, streamline and automate a manufacturing process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs automation and control systems design, specification, simulation, programming and start-up assistance.
- Implements specialized techniques and approaches to handle automation projects.
- Programs and tests various pieces of automated machinery.
- Designs advanced precision equipment for accurate or controlled applications.
- Conducts studies and creates models to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new automation equipment.
- Upgrades the design of existing devices by adding automation elements.
- Travels, as necessary, in order to perform and assist with commissioning activities.
- Works under general supervision with latitude for independent judgment.
- May consult with senior peers on certain projects.
- Preforms other duties as required by the position.
Competency and characteristic requirements
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Job Knowledge – Has a thorough understanding of and proven historical success in PLC programming using Rockwell Automation, Ignition, Modicon, and Vijeo platforms; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision.
- Continuous Learning - Seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Design – Has familiarity with automated design software such as AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat and MicroStation. Translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
- Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; builds customer rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meet customer objectives; meets commitments; promotes customer focus; monitors and maintains customer satisfaction; initiates new contacts.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Cooperation and Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to encourage group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; works cooperatively in group situations.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Conflict Resolution - Keeps emotions under control.
- Cost Consciousness - Develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources; displays orientation to profitability.
- Diversity - Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; benefits organization through outside activities and positive representation.
- Strategic Thinking - Identifies and pursues potential opportunities.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Achievement Focus - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Personal Appearance - Dresses appropriately for position; keeps self well groomed.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers to step in and assist readily; takes appropriate independent actions.
- Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures.
- Availability – Is willing to work long hours, additional days and to travel, on occasion and as needed.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited four-year college or university and at least two years related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Automation and control of rotating machinery is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical information. Ability to respond to inquiries from customers. Ability to effectively present information to management, coworkers and customers.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a minimum of 2 years of experience programming PLC/HMI/drive devises using Rockwell Automation and Inductive Automation Ignition; Working knowledge of Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software; Experience using Modicon and Vijeo is a plus.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and other manufacturing equipment and machinery. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Typical work hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday but there may be additional hours and occasional days added, as needed.
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.